47284Re: Civil War Ancestors

  • scopx.rm
    Mar 10, 2013
      Dick: My situation is a little different than some here. My family was very closed mouthed about those in civil war with only few remarks, with few specifics. One story I recall where relative was hung (surmise a civilian) for not providing opposing desired information. As he was dangling, friendlies came up and chased off the hanging party. He survived, but was required to wear leather collar rest of life.
      2nd story. I did not know (see above) my GGF was involved in civil war until found his grave marker which showed his rank of LT. I know(family told me) he had died in NM while homesteading with my GF. Backtracking, did find his group, Mich. 4th (Minty's)Cavalry involved in more than 80 skirmishes.
      Another involves fellow that smoked lots of cigars, and supposedly drank a lot of whiskey. And the maiden name of my GM the same. However, as family quiet on issue, and unable to trace this line, surmise it to be rumor. To the ancestors, it was too bloody, and did not want to talk about it.
      Tom

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, lilsteve68@... wrote:

      > Dick,
      >
      > I have a long list of Civil Ancestors. The story I posted a few days ago
      > is the only story I know story wise , but have Names, Regiments, company
      > info on Confederate & Federal alike in all about 70 most are distant relatives
      > but do have 3rd great grandfather, Uncle and other cousins as well let
      > me know what your looking for, regards, Steven Cone
      >
      > BTW
      > I had a relative in the 28th Alabama & the 41st Ohio Infantry. I had
      > other relatives face each other in battle through out the war but these two
      > units are different. At the Battle of Orchard knob Nov. 23 1863 the 41st
      > captured the colors of the 28th.
      >

      > Civil War Ancestors

      > <WBR
      >

      > First, I would like to introduce myself. Some of you may recognize me
      > while others may not, so I think an introduction is appropriate. My name is
      > Dick Weeks, folks on the Internet call me Shotgun. I started this group
      > some years ago in hope of learning more about the Western Theater, and learn I
      > have.
      >
      > I thought that since things are quite in the group right now I would try
      > to start a thread. The reason I am doing this is self serving. I want to
      > put a new section on my website and call it "Our Civil War Ancestors,
      > Stories from the Descendants (or something like that) and you folks can help me
      > with that. Fully realizing that many of you may not have traced your family
      > back as far as I have. I am a member of the Sons of the American
      > Revolution which means that I can trace my heritage back in a direct linage to the
      > American Revolution. However I am sure there are many of you that have
      > stories about your ancestors that served on both sides in the Civil War. I
      > would like to share those stories with visitors to my website
      > (_civilwarhome.com_ (http://civilwarhome.com/) ). Since I made it, I know the rule is
      > this group is restricted to discussing only the Western Theater but in this
      > case I will lift the rule when it comes to discussing your ancestors. You
      > may have a story about your ancestor which does not even involve a battle
      > they were engaged in but was passed on to your family. It doesn't have to
      > battle related as long as it is Civil War related. I have ancestors that
      > served at Vicksburg, Atlanta, Gettysburg, and 2nd Manassas and their stories
      > were not always talking about a battle. If this thread works I will share
      > their stories with the group.
      >
      > The first story that I have is not about a battle but something that I
      > found amusing in my family's history. My great great grandmother was Mary
      > Mathews Byers. She was expecting when a kinsman, Charles Wright, visited her
      > home in full Confederate uniform. He said when leaving, "If it is a boy,
      > name him for me." She answered she would do so even it were a girl. And
      > she did. My great grandmother's name is Charlie Wright Byers Weeks. The
> [...]
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic