47276Re: [civilwarwest] Civil War Ancestors

  • Dave Gorski
    Mar 6, 2013
      My GGGrandfather, Pvt. Jefferson Thompson, was a driver who served with the 3rd section of the 11th Indiana Battery. While the battery was moving to Pittsburg Landing with Buell's Army, he was run over by an ammunition wagon and went back to Nashville with broken bones. While in the hospital there he contracted Typhoid. He survived and rejoined the unit just before they moved to Murfreesboro, Tennessee. The 11th Indiana Artillery was with General Lytle at the battle of Chickamauga where Jefferson took what must have been a spent round ball to the head. It pierced his scalp and travelled under the skin stopping at his forehead. (The family tradition points to him as the source of our hard headedness) He was treated at the ammunition trains refusing to go to the hospital (probably remembering his last hospital stay) where the wound was treated but the ball remained under the skin. Many years later his grandkids would talk about how they would rub Grandpa's forehead for good luck. Thompson and the 11th Battery were active during the Atlanta Campaign and during the siege of Atlanta the battery fired 3,010 rounds from their 4.5 inch siege guns over the course of 12 days and nights. Jefferson mustered out with the 11th Battery, went to Wisconsin, went back to farming and married his sweetheart from Indiana on the 4th of July in 1865.

      In doing research over many years, I found his story and that of the battery so interesting that i've written a battery history (as yet unpublished). A few years ago I had the real pleasure of meeting with other descendants of 11th Battery men and spending a few days re-tracing their steps and re-telling their stories. I couldn't help but think that those citizen soldiers would have been surprised, and pleased, at knowing that their descendants so honored them. I highly recommend researching any potential Civil War ancestor, or even "adopt" one from a cemetery and research him. Very rewarding, and you will meet some great people.

      Regards, Dave Gorski
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic