47271Re: [civilwarwest] Civil War Ancestors

  • John Hazen
    Mar 6, 2013
      One of these days I'm going to have to do some digging to get some details but the story goes that my great-great grandfather on my father's side was a Union foot soldier who was killed in a skirmish about four days after Lee surrendered at Appomattox.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Mar 6, 2013, at 7:11 AM, "Mary Hawthorne" <tboner1@...> wrote:

      I love this idea! Here is a story of one of my ancestors. He wasn’t a soldier but as you read you will know it was directly related to the Civil War.

      John Adams was born in Canada in the year 1818. He went to Vermont where he married and started to raise a family. Sometime during the 1850's he started to hear and follow the message of Eli Thayer, a Massachusetts congressman who was responsible for getting New Englanders to go to places like Kansas and Virginia to allow the people of the south to see that slavery was not necessary to prosper.

      Being convicted in the work that needed to be done, John took his family to the Thayer settlement of Ceredo, Virginia in 1857. By 1861 compromise was not possible in the government and Civil War broke out. John showed himself to be a very strong Union man. At 43 he was too old to fight but he made himself useful to the local militia. Also he had a young family to consider.

      By 1863 the county that Ceredo was in was one of the western Virginia counties that became the state of West Virginia. This changed the attitudes of the pro southerners around the settlements even more. Much has been written about guerrilla activities in Kansas, Kentucky and eastern West Virginia. Wayne county, WV had its share of that problem as well.

      John continued his abolition and pro union work and received many death threats. He would pocket the notes and keep them to himself and just say the work needs to continue. The government of West Virginia made him Adjutant of the militia and it was in May of 1864 that he left home using that capacity to get recruits for the Union army. He was soon captured by the rebels and subsequently executed. His coat and bones were found about a month later. The coat had 13 bullet holes in the back confirming an execution.

      Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 11:28 PM
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Civil War Ancestors

      First, I would like to introduce myself.  Some of you may recognize me while others may not, so I think an introduction is appropriate.  My name is Dick Weeks, folks on the Internet call me Shotgun.  I started this group some years ago in hope of learning more about the Western Theater, and learn I have.

      I thought that since things are quite in the group right now I would try to start a thread.  The reason I am doing this is self serving.  I want to put a new section on my website and call it "Our Civil War Ancestors, Stories from the Descendants (or something like that) and you folks can help me with that.  Fully realizing that many of you may not have traced your family back as far as I have.  I am a member of the Sons of the American Revolution which means that I can trace my heritage back in a direct linage to the American Revolution.  However I am sure there are many of you that have stories about your ancestors that served on both sides in the Civil War.  I would like to share those stories with visitors to my website (civilwarhome.com).  Since I made it, I know the rule is this group is restricted to discussing only the Western Theater but in this case I will lift the rule when it comes to discussing your ancestors.  You may have a story about your ancestor which does not even involve a battle they were engaged in but was passed on to your family.  It doesn't have to battle related as long as it is Civil War related.  I have ancestors that served at Vicksburg, Atlanta, Gettysburg, and 2nd Manassas and their stories were not always talking about a battle.  If this thread works I will share their stories with the group.

      The first story that I have is not about a battle but something that I found amusing in my family's history.  My great great grandmother was Mary Mathews Byers.  She was expecting when a kinsman, Charles Wright, visited her home in full Confederate uniform.  He said when leaving, "If it is a boy, name him for me."  She answered she would do so even it were a girl.  And she did.  My great grandmother's name is Charlie Wright Byers Weeks.  The family always called her "Charlie."

      I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant
      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com

    • Show all 27 messages in this topic