47237Re: Was Pemberton Wrong, Bad, Incompetent (Vicksburg Campaign)

  • Tony
    Jan 9, 2013
      If Pemberton had listened to Johnston, Grant would have waltzed into Vicksburg uncontested. Pemberton probably had the right instinct of falling back behind the Big Black River and waiting for reinforcements. Where Pemberton screwed up is by not telling Johnston to go **** himself, by order of the president.

      As it was, Pemberton vacillated, called councils of war, made a decision nobody was in favor of including himself, and then belatedly attempted to obey Johnston. Worst of all worlds.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Holger Klaßmann" wrote:

      > I think Pemberton wasn't that bad, I remind Foote calling it something like: "Pemberton was inflexible, but he was in a position where a more flexible man might fly to pieces".
      >
      > Though Grant's generalship was superior to Pemberton's, I wonder how he would have fared against Joe Johnston, if Pemberton had followed his orders to unite his forces with Johnston's.
      > The main reason for Pemberton's failure was the confederate command structure (if you can call it that), because it was unclear and Davis always had a hand in the game.
      >
      > Confederate siege warfare? I think of Harper's Ferry (VA) and Lexington (MO), but these were pretty short affairs.
      >
      > Kind regards,
      > Holger
      >

      > -------- Original-Nachricht --------
      > > Datum: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 09:00:07 -0800 (PST)
      > > Von: Pamela Kirklin
      > > An: "civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com"
      > > Betreff: Re: [civilwarwest] Was Pemberton Wrong, Bad, Incompetent (Vicksburg Campaign)
      >
      > > A combination of seige warfare wearing down the men and taking the war to
      > > the people.

    • Show all 52 messages in this topic