47210Re: Was Pemberton Wrong, Bad, Incompetent (Vicksburg Campaign)

  • hank9174
    Jan 2, 2013
      Johnston did little to help and Pemberton allowed himself to be trapped in a fixed position. Davis did nothing to break the stalemate.

      placing 35,000 troops in fixed fortifications with their backs to a river without an attempt at relief is incompetence by Pemberton, Johnston and Davis...

      with all the talk of the civil war being the first 'modern war', the there was tremendous room for maneuver in the west.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "callicles1" <callicles1@...> wrote:

      > I am of the opinion that Pemberton acquitted himself well enough during the campaign. He just ran up against Grant. I'm just wondering what you folks think.
      >
      > 1. Was Grant that good; or
      >
      > 2. Was Pemberton that bad; or
      >
      > 3. Is it some where in between?
      >
      > I really can't wait to read opinions and to engage in discussion. Thanks.

    • Show all 52 messages in this topic