      From: hank9174 <clarkc@...>
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Mon, January 24, 2011 8:54:22 AM
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Me and the rebellion

      The capture of Vicksburg gains two clear Union advantages other than the elimination of the CS army of Mississippi:

      1) it clears the river for use as a Union highway of supply and communication,

      2) it allows the Union to concentrate forces farther east, particularly in east Tennessee facing Chattanooga and Atlanta. For all intents and purposes, the states of Mississippi and Alabama become civil war backwaters...

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <chiefjoseph1877@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > I like Chris' post. I had thought that Vicksburg was the main turning point because it was a surrender of a Confederate army- wasn't it about 30,000 men swept right off the board? But recently, I read those men were all paroled and many got back into the war, decreasing the impact of Grant's victory.. any thoughts on that? Any figures on how many of Pemberton's men got back into the fighting?
      >
      > Jim
      >
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, chris bryant <paladinsf@> wrote:
      > >

      > > First I want to note that on this day 150 years ago Thomas J. Jackson,soon to be a top General of That Other Army,was celebrating his 37th birthday.
      > >
      > > Second I want note that 150 years ago was the month that saw the most states secede from the union;five states leaving in January,following South Carolina's December lead.
      > >
      > > And now I'll talk about myself a bit:I'm a Union sympathizer,though I had ancestors on both sides.One{Ezekiel Chitwood} I believe is buried in the Little Rock National Cemetery,having died during the Civil War while serving with the 4th Arkansas Cavalry.Another{Asa Bryant} served with the 3rd Confederate Cavalry.{which led to my interest in the Western Theatre}A third I'm not sure about:Florian Warth seems to have been killed in an explosion on the transport Mississippi but I've been unable to find his name on any regimental rosters and I've wondered if he might have been serving the Union in a civilan capacity or as a sailor.I haven't been able to find out much about this ship,though I did find some mention of it years ago.
      > >
      > > I have an interest in military history and tend to be interested in those Generals who show particular skill in maneuver,though the Civil war has frustrated me a bit because there seems to have been so little maneuver warfare worth talking about and thus was interested in the talk of envelopments.I like Grant because he seems to have shown some skill in maneuver,and seems to have been one of the clearest thinkers among Civil War Generals.
      > >
      > > I've believed for a while that the Western Theatre was more important than the East,though the East had a psychological importance.I've been going through the archives{so now I feel more that I've earned the right to comment}and I noticed a question way back as to what the turning point of the war was.Vicksburg was the choice at that time and I think I disagree.I think the three events that took place at that time{Bragg's retreat is the third} had a strong effect on Southern Morale but I'm not sure I'd call this the turning point.With regard to Vicksburg,I think its fall was less important because the Mississippi was under effective control of the Union long before that.That "turning point" question is interesting to me and I plan to come back to it.Need to go now but hope to continue this soon,maybe having read some comments from you.
> [...]

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic