      Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2011 2:47 PM
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Envelopment

      All:
      I thought that "envelopment" meant going around the flank(s) to get
      behind the enemy, not just attacking on the flank(s). If this is a
      correct definition, then Grant's plans at Chattanooga would seem to be
      flank attacks, not envelopments. Sherman was to get up on Missionary
      Ridge at the north end and "roll up" Bragg's army from that point.
      Hooker was to do likewise at the south end. Thomas was to hold the
      middle. As it turned out, Thomas' troops broke through the middle,
      aided by a somewhat late attack on the Confederate left flank by
      Hooker. Sherman was stopped by Cleburne's troops and did not "roll up"
      Bragg's army from his right flank. Thus, Grant's plans for attacks on
      Bragg's flanks were not very successful, while Thomas's troops did more
      than their planned part. It seems, therefore, that this battle was not
      a good example of attacks on the flank(s) and certainly not an envelopment.

      No virus found in this message.