46877Re: [civilwarwest] Retreat and Fall Back

  • Bob Huddleston
    Dec 21, 2010
      Having done some reading in sources ranging from an 1868 campaign
      biography of USG to Brooks Simpson, it does appear that Grant never
      retreated, especially after the Holly Springs raid..... :>)

      So I am willing to stipulate that Pap Thomas did not retreat after Mill
      Springs. He did fall back, make a strategic withdrawal, etc. What he did
      not do was pursue the Rebels. Double :>)

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      Huddleston.r@...

      “There must be more historians of the Civil War than there were generals
      fighting it, and, of the two groups, the historians are the more
      belligerent.” David Donald, “Refighting the Civil War,” Lincoln
      Reconsidered (New York, 1956), 82.