46869Re: [civilwarwest] Retreat and Fall Back

  • Bob Huddleston
    Dec 20 2:00 PM
      Only to Grant -- never to ol' Slow Trot! :>)

      Take care,

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612

      “There must be more historians of the Civil War than there were generals fighting it, and, of the two groups, the historians are the more belligerent.” David Donald, “Refighting the Civil War,” Lincoln Reconsidered (New York, 1956), 82.

      On 12/20/2010 1:50 PM, Patricia Swan wrote:
      > It may all be a matter of semantics, but it seems to me that this being
      > the anniversary of Confederate General Earl Van Dorn's raid on Grant's
      > supply base at Holly Springs, it might be a timely illustration. After
      > the raid, Grant could no longer sustain his troops, his supplies at
      > Holly Springs having been largely destroyed and the railroad down to
      > Mississippi having been disrupted. One could say, and some do write,
      > that Grant retreated. Others say that he was "forced to fall back" to
      > Tennessee. Do these terms apply equally well to what Grant did, or is
      > one or the other more apt?
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic