46863Re: [civilwarwest] yesterday in history

  • Bob Huddleston
    Dec 19, 2010
      My points about Thomas are not meant to demean or lessen his very real
      accomplishments. Here is one:

      "The interments [at Chattanooga National Cemetery] are made without
      regard to States, as we think justly, though members of same regiments
      are kept together as far as practicable, on a good suggestion of a
      distinguished Major-General, as we learn, that “there had been [319]
      quite enough of State Rights; that these soldiers had died fighting for
      the Union, against rebellious States, and now we had better mix them up
      and nationalize them a little.” He thought our poor fellows would like
      that best, if they could have a voice in the matter, and we heartily
      concur in the opinion….

      "It stands out a truly Union and national work as far as completed,
      simple but grand in its conception and execution; and General Thomas
      well deserves high praise and the united thanks of the army and the
      country for what has there been done so promptly and appropriately for
      our slain and dead soldiery."

      James F. Russling, “National Cemeteries,” Harper’s New Monthly Magazine.
      Volume 33, Issue 195, (August 1866), pp. 318-319.

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      Huddleston.r@...

      “There must be more historians of the Civil War than there were generals
      fighting it, and, of the two groups, the historians are the more
      belligerent.” David Donald, “Refighting the Civil War,” Lincoln
      Reconsidered (New York, 1956), 82.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic