46859Re: [civilwarwest] yesterday in history

  • Bob Huddleston
    Dec 17, 2010
      In our discussion of the importance of George Thomas, the statement is
      made that he is unique because he destroyed a Civil War army. Leaving
      aside the thought that if that is the sign of greatness, then John Bell
      Hood should be considered the greatest general of all time :>) I did
      some checking in the various secondary sources on the two battles of
      Franklin and Nashville. What I found, and please correct me if my
      figures are wrong, was that the destruction of the AoT was done at
      Franklin and that it would appear that the Rebels at Nashville were
      hardly destroyed, not if they had twenty something thousand when Thomas
      attacked and still had 20,000 a month or so later.

      At Franklin:

      Schofield:23,939

      Hood started north with about approximately 40,000 maximum, but only had
      about 29,000 left at Franklin (there are no decent Confederate numbers)

      Losses at Franklin, November 30, 1864:

      Schofield:2326

      Hood:6200

      At Nashville, December 15-16, 1864:

      Thomas: 52,000-60,000 (I am startled at the disagreement over the number
      of men Thomas had available!)

      Hood:22,000-25,000

      Casualties:

      Thomas: 3,061 killed, wounded and missing.

      Hood: No reports – but there is agreement that Thomas captured 4462
      Confederates and that, when the Army of Tennessee reached Tupelo at the
      beginning of 1865, it had about 20,000 men.

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      Huddleston.r@...

      “There must be more historians of the Civil War than there were generals fighting it, and, of the two groups, the historians are the more belligerent.” David Donald, “Refighting the Civil War,” Lincoln Reconsidered (New York, 1956), 82.

      On 12/17/2010 3:39 PM, chris bryant wrote:

      > I'd say it was pretty well sealed before that;any other opinions?
      > Chris Bryant

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic