46546Re: [civilwarwest] Mounted Riflemen / 3RD US Cavalry

  • Patricia Swan
    Nov 5, 2009
      The Mounted Riflemen/3rd Cavalry were indeed an interesting group. The
      URL below gives some information about their Civil War experience. The
      Colonel of the 90th Illinois had been a Rifleman in New Mexico before
      the C.W.

      Patricia B. Swan
      "Chicago's Irish Legion: the 90th Illinois Volunteers in the Civil War"
      by James B. Swan
      shawn wrote:
      > Hello,
      > I am a Civil War reinactor in the Pacific Northwest that is looking on
      > starting a new unit in my club. The unit that I am looking at was
      > formed in the late 1840s as the Mounted Riflemen. They started out
      > building forts along the Oregon Trail and were sent to fight in the
      > Mexican War. I know that when the Civil War started they were
      > redesignated as the 3RD US Cavalry and helped drive the confederates
      > back into texas and spent most of the war in Tenesse.
      > I have been realy impressed with the knowledge of the people in this
      > group and was hoping that I could get some people to share some
      > information on the unit. Any thing would be extreamly helpful.
      > Shawn
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic