46502Re: Where the War REALLY was Won (and who won it)

  • edkiniry
    Sep 29, 2009
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, fwnash@... wrote:

      >                                 Sep 29
      >

      > CCW'ers
      >

      > Another Capt Way  reference for the "Pook Gunboats" indicates three of the seven such gunboats built by James B Eads were  indeed built in Mound City, IL :   Cairo , Mound City , and Cincinnati .   The other four were built in Carondelet, MO :  Carondelet , Louisville , St Louis , and Pittsburg .
      >

      > The first launched was the St Louis .  Each "Pook Gunboat" carried 13 guns (unlucky number for the wildly superstitious rivermen)  six mounted 32 pounder smoothbores, three 8 inch Dalgren shell guns, and four rifled 42 pounders.
      >

      > The Cairo, a victim of Rebel mines or torpedoes, was the first "Pook" lost while going up the Yazoo River on 12 Dec 1862.  She sank up to her stacks; all personnel got ashore safely; the wreck was a total loss.  In 1964, the wreck was raised and many artifacts were recovered and preserved at Vicksburg.
      >

      > Need to do more research on the other six vessels.  These boats were lost in my cross reference process.
      >
      > Fran Nash

      Mound City, Illinois was a depot, shipyard and Military Hospital among other war related functions.
      I apologize if you felt that I was talking down to you, as I gathered from your reply. That was not my intention, my purposes were brevity and correctness.
      I was addressing the statement: "Any way, Fran has ably pointed out where the turtles were built, and there were none built in Illinois."
      May I repeat? Mound City is in Illinois.
      My grandfather recovered from wounds received at Shiloh at the hospital there.
      That is an interesting story, if you are interested. General Grant will make an appearance.
      For a minor study of what is called "Egypt" I recommend the book "Key Command, Ulysses S. Grant's District of Cairo" by T.K.Kionka.

      David
    • Show all 62 messages in this topic