46488German Regiments in the Civil War

  • Joseph R. Reinhart
    Sep 15, 2009
      Group
      There were approximately 30 German Regiments that fought in the American Civil War. They were composed mostly of immigrants from Germany. I believe that they are not well known. I am trying to find out if this is true and which are the best known. There were 10 from New York, 8 from Ohio, 5 from Pennsylvania, and lesser amounts from other Union states. Indiana had only 1.

      Please e-mail me at sixthky@bellsouth and give me the names (number and state) of three German regiments (or fewer if you can't name 3). Rank them in the order of the ones you know the most about to the least. If you can't name any please say None.I will share the results with the group.

      Thanks
      Joe
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic