      From: "jackdotsmit" <jackdotsmit@...>
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, April 13, 2009 12:14:48 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
      Subject: [civilwarwest] JAN -JUN 1862 in the western theater

      I am trying to do a chronological analysis of the western theater from Jan -Jun 1862 and the importance of this period specifically. I have been unable to find good information of this period as to why it is significant; if it is significant and exactly what states defined the western theater in this time frame. Many historians differ on the territory and states considered the western theater. Best I can tell this is where Grant made a name for himself. This particular time in history seems to be left unexamined or I am looking in the wrong books. IT is easy to chronologically list the battles and the 1000 that died, but I want to learn what impact these battles had on the war, the people that fought the battles and the united states as a whole. Was this a turning point? Any insight or direction you can provide for this specific period would be helpful.
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic