46247Re: JAN -JUN 1862 in the western theater

  • Tony Gunter
    Apr 14, 2009
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@...> wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@> wrote:
      >
      > > Why Jan-Jun? That's very specific, and is not bounded by any logical events. Why not Feb-May? Why not Jan-Oct?
      >
      > Seems logical to me.
      > January is when activity started in Kentucky.
      > June is when the US initiative fizzled out.

      Exactly ... it's taking the logical boundary one month too far.

      Jan-May would be the logical separation: Zollicoffer is killed, Donelson falls to Grant, Buell moves south to Nashville, both armies converge on Shiloh, Halleck takes Corinth, New Orleans falls to Farragut.

      June is the beginning of a great federal denouement: the great federal army at Corinth is split up, Rosecrans creeps towards Chattanooga only to be thwarted, Halleck is called away to Washington, Farragut fails to force the capitulation of Vicksburg, Bragg wrests the initiative from the federals and invades Kentucky, the Confederates fortify Port Hudson and Snyder's Bluff securing the Red and Yazoo Rivers to Confederate navigation.

      Then in October we see Grant, though left with barely enough forces to hold the ground that he has been ordered to defend, decide on his own to reclaim the initiative in the west. At the same time, Bragg withdraws to Knoxville.

      So the logical periods are Jan-May, Jun-August, Oct-Dec.
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic