46237Re: JAN -JUN 1862 in the western theater

  • Tony Gunter
    Apr 13, 2009
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, navalhistorymark@... wrote:

      > James McPherson, in Battle Cry of Freedom (422), quotes a Union newspaper describing the first half of the year as a "Deluge of Victories in the West." Between February and June 1862 Union forces won battles at Forts Henry and Donelson, Island Number 10, Shiloh, Memphis, and New Orleans, occupied fifty thousand square miles of Confederate territory, gained control of one thousand miles of navigable rivers, and captured two state capitals.
      >

      > The Confederacy lost a significant portion of its resources and manufacturing capability during the first half of 1862 with the capture of Nashville, Memphis and New Orleans. Several scholarly general histories, economic and naval studies of the war point this out. IMHO, this leads back to the decisive decision to build the western rivers ironclads at the end of 1861, which made the early victories on the rivers possible.

      I see, if you include Mill Springs and Memphis, it extends it to Jan-June. The central theme of this peroid is Halleck and Grant's campaign to turn Columbus via the Tennessee River ... which is really Feb-May.
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic