      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Steamboats at Shiloh
      From: fwnash@...
      Date: Sat, February 28, 2009 8:45 pm
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com

                                Feb 28
      Mr B
      Part history, part puzzle.  Hard facts on steamboats are scattered.
      Attached is my worksheet on the str Argyle which was transporting Gen Grant's troops on the TN River and was part of the expedition to Pittsburg Landing in Apr 1862.  Whether impressed or contracted is unknown at this time.  I have one more family vessel at Pittsburg Landing, but I am not yet ready for prime time.
      Fran Nash
      From: "hseyfer" <hbseyfer@alltel. net>
      Date: Sat, February 28, 2009 12:40 pm
      To: civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com

      Larry J. Daniel, Shiloh: The Battle that Changed the Civil War (New York: Touchstone, 1998),
      Hospital boat City of Memphis (pp 298, 299)
      Commissary boat Cincinnati  (p 299)
      Following the battle, "At one time forty boats, two and three deep, lined the bank at Pittsburg Landing.  Scores of bags of white corn were laid across the muddy bank, creating a kind of wharf." (p299)
      Steven E. Woodworth, Nothing but Victory: The Army of the Tennessee, 1861-1865 (New York: Vintage (Random House), 2005)
      "Thus he [Lew Wallace] was on the steamboat Jesse K. Bell, gazing eagerly downstream as Tigress approached." (p165)
      "Somewhere above Crump's Landing, Tigress met the steamboat John Warner, charging downstream.  Will Wallace, whose camps were closest to Pittsburg Landing, had dispatched it to notify Grant of the attack." (p165)
      "Ann Wallace served as a volunteer nurse to the hundreds of wounded who were brought about Minnehaha that day" (p191)
      Ann, wanting to surprise her husband Brigadier General W.H.L Wallace, sailed on the Minnehaha, which tied up at Pittsburg Landing late in the evening of April 5thAmong the mortally wounded brought onboard was her husband, who died on the 10th with her at his side.
      Lew Wallace (Jim Leeke ed.) Smoke, Sound & Fury: The Civil War Memoirs of Major-General Lew Wallace, U.S. Volunteers (Portland, OR, Strawberry Hill Press, 1998)
      Although Woodworth cites p111 of this book for the paragraph mentioning the Jesse K. Bell, Wallace states "A steamboat, an adjunct to my headquarters, lay tied up at the landing" without providing a name.
      Perhaps the best record of the boats around Pittsburg Landing during the battle and the days leading up to is "Abstract log of the U. S. S. Lexington, August 16, 1861—April 11, 1862, Commander R. N. Stembel." in Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion, Vol 22, pp 785, 786
      April 4.—At Pittsburg [Landing] at 11:50 a. m. The Crescent City and Planet arrived with troops.
      April 5.—Arrived at Crump's [Landing] at 4:50 a. m. The McDowell came down at 5:50 and landed with troops. The War Eagle came up with troops.  At 11 the Planet passed with troops. The steamer Fort Wayne passed up, loaded with pontoon boats.
      April 6.—Off Crump's Landing.  From 8 to meridian: Heavy firing heard all the morning in the direction of Pittsburg.  The John Ramm passed down and reported fighting at Pittsburg.  Got underway and stood down the river and came to a short distance above Pittsburg, near the Tyler.  At 10:30 the Tyler stood up the river and returned.  Men coming in report our loss heavy. The firing still continues without cessation.  Several shots have fallen in the river close to us. Men still coming in, great many of them wounded.  They report that the rebels are getting the better of us on the left wing. Rounded to at 12:15 and stood down the river.  Arrived at Crump's at 12:50.  At 1 p. m. the Fort Wayne passed up with pontoon boats on board.  Arrived at Pittsburg at 4.  The Tyler commenced shelling the woods at 4:15.  At 4:30 we commenced, fired l2 rounds.  At 4:37 stood down the river; stopped opposite Pittsburg to take Captain Hurd on board.  Dropped down after the Tyler at 5:45. Heavy firing on shore.  At 6 the rebels opened fire on Pittsburg; we returned it by shot and shell.  Fired 32 rounds, when, not hearing any more firing, we ceased at 6:10.  Stood down the river; everything quiet.  Stood up the river and arrived at Pittsburg at 10. At 10:15 two transports came up with troops; 4 boats arrived with troops.
      April 7.— At 1 a. m. went up and took position with the Tyler and commenced firing one shell every seventeen minutes.  Ceased firing at 5:30; went on shore and brought off in the cutter a wounded man belonging to the Twelfth Illinois, and put him aboard the hospital boat Hannibal.  Firing on shore heavy, with cheering all along the line.
      Thus we have -- in addition to the Lexington, Tyler, and Tigress – the following at or near Pittsburg Landing on April 6-7, 1864
      City of Memphis
      Crescent City
      Fort Wayne
      Jesse K. Bell
      John Ramm
      John Warner (definitely at Pittsburg Landing)
      Minnehaha (definitely at Pittsburg Landing)
      War Eagle
      Undoubtedly there were others, now forgotten.
      Incidentally, are you aware that Col. John Beatty commanded the Third Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  Later he was promoted to brigadier general and published his Civil War memoirs (John Beatty (Intro. Steven E. Woodworth), The Citizen-Soldier: The Memoirs of a Civil War Volunteer (Lincoln: University of Nebraska, 1998).
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic