      From: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com [mailto:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Carl Williams
      Sent: Monday, December 01, 2008 6:35 AM
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Strange letter

      From the postings it seems we have at least one Reb who was willing to
      fudge on the rules and two Yanks seeming to indicate life wasn't so
      good as a POH.

      I have to figure it would be an exaggeration to say conditions were
      worse or even just as bad at a POH camp as a POW camp. Since there
      seem to be no guards, surely conditions had to be passable. You'd have
      to expect belly-aching of some kind, just from being forced to stay put.

      > I had a great,great, great uncle who served with the 15th Battery,
      > Indiana Light Arty. His unit surrendered at Harper's Ferry in Sept
      > 1862. When his unit was paroled the entire unit was sent to
      > Indianapolis. They were held at a POW camp there and they were not
      > used as guards. From the stories that I heard growing up, the paroled
      > union soldiers were sometimes treated more poorly than the Southern
      > prisoners were treated. I guess the treatment received by POH's
      > depended on where they were held and what their rank was.
      > Al

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic