45927Re: Strange letter

  • savage.albert
    Nov 30, 2008
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave718@...> wrote:

      > My great grandfather was a union army captain who was released as a
      POH - parole on honor - after capture by Captain Morgan - and was sent
      north and trained green troops in Baltimore until exchanged. A friend
      of mine has trouble doing genealogy on his great-great grandfather - a
      confederate - since he was captured twice and released on a POH but he
      immediately returned to active under a slightly different spelling of
      his name.
      > Dave in Falls Church VA.

      I had a great,great, great uncle who served with the 15th Battery,
      Indiana Light Arty. His unit surrendered at Harper's Ferry in Sept
      1862. When his unit was paroled the entire unit was sent to
      Indianapolis. They were held at a POW camp there and they were not
      used as guards. From the stories that I heard growing up, the paroled
      union soldiers were sometimes treated more poorly than the Southern
      prisoners were treated. I guess the treatment received by POH's
      depended on where they were held and what their rank was.

      Al
    • Show all 19 messages in this topic