45689Re: Figured it out

  • Harlan Seyfer
    Aug 1, 2008

      The First Nebraska fought on the Union side in the battle for Fort Donelson and at Shiloh .  Both times they were part of the Second Brigade (Col. John Milton Thayer) in Lew Wallace’s Division.

      What Confederate regiments were they up against in each fight?  Pointers to descriptions of these battles from the point-of-view of these units would be greatly appreciated.

      That one’s easy; the next is probably more of a challenge.

      Col. William D McCord commanded the 1st Nebr. in both encounters.  He resigned shortly after Shiloh, returned to Nebraska , and died of unrelated causes four months later.  If anyone has information on him, kindly let me know.  So far what I have discovered about him is from reports in the OR and photos taken of his grave.  Otherwise I’m coming up dry.  He seems to have had military experience before the war, possibly in Iowa , Illinois , Indiana , or Kentucky .

      In the meantime, thanks and try to stay cool this summer.

      Harlan Seyfer

      Plattsmouth, Nebraska

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic