45586Re: A Question on Numbers

  • oneplez
    May 4, 2008

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Weeks" <shotgun@...> wrote:
      > Good Morning,
      > I am hoping some of you might be able to help with this question. It sure would save me a lot of time. This inquiry came in from my website.
      > ". . .Hello, I was hoping you could help me with a question. How many union troops total served in the west during the civil war?
      > thanks"

      I got into this one on another site and came up with this:

      Here is a scan of Boatners `Numbers and Losses':

      Page 602

      In the Union Army a total of 2,128,948 men served and 359,528 are known to have died. Of the troops engaged, 75,213 were regulars, 1,933,779 were volunteers, 46,347 were drafted, and 73,607 were substitutes. Of the total casualties. 67,058 were killed in action, 43,012 died of wounds, 224,586 died of disease, and 24,872 died from accidents or otber causes. The above figures are from the Adj. Gen.'s Office as published in the Army Almanac of 1950.

      The strength of the Confederate Army has been the subject of much controversy, the estimates ranging between 600,000 and 1,500,000. Taking a total of 2,893,304 enlistments in the Union Army during the war, and between 1,227,890 and 1,406,180 enlistments is the Confederate Army during the war and reducing both figures to the standard of three-year enlistments, Livermore puts Union strength at 1,556,678 and Confederate strength at 1,082,111.

      Got other  numbers from 'Dyer's Compendium, "SUMMARY OF TROOPS FURNISHED" and separated eastern states troops from the western states.The western total equalled 1.3 mil.   Not very accurate but the best I could find. I couldn't find anything that specified the amounts of troops in each theater. That's why I took the total and split them east and west. Probably not accurate but I couldn't find anything else. The individual I responded to insisted that there were only a million total troops, which number he got from Phister's p. 62.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic