45581Re: [civilwarwest] A Question on Numbers

  • keeno2@aol.com
    May 1, 2008
      Believe your questioner might be referring to the frontier rather than the western theater. It's still a tough number to pin down. How many regulars were not called east? How many new regular regiments were formed? Would you count the Confederates who "volunteered" to serve rather than be POWs?

      Figuring roughly 14,000 pre-war, less those interned in Texas makes the number around 11,000. Less those called east, plus those recruited, plus the galvanized Yankees, minus desertions. Makes my hair hurt.

      A bit early in the day to start tossing them back, but I'm tempted.

      ken