45505Re: General Shelby

  • William H Keene
    Mar 15, 2008

      > well, if we've slowed down a bit, reading a book about Shelby and
      > looks like will be able to post here some stuff. ["General Jo Shelby:
      > Undefeated Rebel"]
      >
      > Already have come across a statement that I'll have to check out: a
      > claim that the CS Army of the Trans-miss was 60,000 strong at its
      > peak. That sound right?

      Sounds right for the entire force in the Trans-Miss, including all
      garrisons and subcommands. In the spring of 1864, the number was
      41,000 as enumerated by Steven Newton in the book "Lost For The
      Cause". Problem was that the force was so widely distributed that
      around 15,000 was the most ever brought into any battle in the tRans-
      Miss.
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic