44625Re: the little breechloader

  • Tony Gunter
    Oct 8, 2007

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > interesting indeed that such a small weapon was so innovative
      that it
      > > drew such attention. And it originally was in the hands of the
      CSA?
      > > Probably British. I assume it didnt use metal cartridges; perhaps
      > > "prepared rounds" made for fast fire, however.
      > >

      > I'm not sure if it was the innovation or the size of the weapon
      that
      > drew notice. Like "what would you use something this small for ...
      > hey, I know, let's give it to the cavalry."
      >
      > :)

      I believe Jeff's theory is that it was a two-pounder Hughes gun, some
      of which were actually forged right there in Jackson, Mississippi.
      The weight of the gun was something like 80 pounds, if I remember
      correctly, which made it easy for cavalry to haul around.
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic