44425Re: Tunnel Hill

  • Bill Bruner
    Sep 11, 2007
      > As for how much this would have slowed Sherman down, I doubt
      it would have effected him too much in the long run. If the tunnel
      was blown before the end of April, he could have launched his
      attacks in the same way, attacking Johnston's supply line at Resaca,
      but shifting more of his troops in the Dalton area to the east to be
      supplied down the East Tennessee and Virginia railroad which ran
      from Cleveland to Dalton. I would bet that blowing the tunnel would
      simply have delayed him a few weeks while rail was brought in to
      complete the track from Chattanooga to Cleveland Tenn. over the East
      Tennesse and Virginia line which had been contructed up there, but
      which had never received the rails due to the intervention of the
      war. He would not have even had to track the entire line,
      especially the part through the other tunnel up in Missionairy Ridge
      since they could have simply tied that line into the existing W & A
      line which went around the northern end of the ridge. That entire
      line had already been graded and only needed rails, and Sherman had
      excellent railroad repair crews standing by

      This seems to diminish the importance of the tunnel in the first
      place. If it was so easy to by-pass the Chatoogetta Mt. ( I hope I
      got that right) and connect to the Ga. and E. Tenn at Cleveland and
      thus Southward to Dalton and the W & A Southward to Atlanta.

      I am assuming that this analysis on my part is faulty. Otherwise
      they never would have gone to the great expense of building the
      tunnel and replacing it later with a new and improved one. I would
      love to be enlightened on this. I know I must be missing a key
      element to this problem.

      Bill Bruner
    • Show all 24 messages in this topic