      Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2007 2:37 PM
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Stealing the General

      Kent:

      Thanks for the kind words; I'm really glad you enjoyed the book. As
      for your question on Andrews raider Pvt. Shadrach: Charles
      P. "Perry" Shadrach (or Shadrack, in some versions) was the young
      private's nom de guerre; he was born Philip Gephart Shadrach, but
      hated his name because his older brother teased him and called
      him "Flip." (See pp. 51-52 and accompanying notes in my book for
      more on Shadrach). I'm not sure that he "ran away" to enlist;
      rather, I think he simply took the opportunity at enlistment time to
      change the name he disliked.

      It appears that Pvt. Shadrach wasn't awarded the MOH for the simple
      reason that no one ever sought it on his behalf. However, I'm told
      that an effort is underway, led by certain members of the
      Congressional Medal of Honor Historical Society, to obtain the Medal
      of Honor for Shadrach and fellow raider George D. Wilson. I'm not
      sure where this stands; the last I heard it had the support of Sen.
      Voinovich's office and (supposedly) had been approved through the
      entire chain of command up to the White House.

      With best regards,
      Russell Bonds
      Marietta, Georgia

      --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, DORR64OVI@.. . wrote:

      > In a message dated 8/30/2007 5:07:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > jillandruss@ ... writes:
      >
      > Friends:
      >
      > I'm the author of "Stealing the General" (the aforementioned book
      on
      > the Andrews Raid); and am pleased to report that the film rights
      > the book has been optioned by Paramount. Of course, it's only
      > an "option," and that's a long way from production, but here's
      hoping
      > we'll see a new version of the story on the big screen.
      >
      > Kind regards,
      > Russell Bonds
      > _www.stealingthegen ewww.ste_ (http://www.stealing thegeneral. com)
      >
      > Mr Bonds....I was very pleased with your work on the Andrews
      Raid. It was
      > well researched and was a needed addition to Civil War libraries.
      A number of
      > years ago when I first got interested in CW reenacting the study
      of the
      > conflict, a co-worker of mine brought the Raid to my attention for
      a personal
      > reason. She claimed to be a relative of Perry Shadrachs and
      related to me a
      > story about his not receiving the MOH. IIRC, the story was that
      he had enlisted
      > under a false name as he had run away to join. Your book makes
      no mention
      > of this and I was wondering if you had come across this tale in
      your research?

      > Kent Dorr
      >

      > ************ ********* ********* ******** Get a sneak peek of the all-
      new AOL at