44380Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Stealing the General

  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
    Sep 1, 2007
      In a message dated 9/1/2007 2:38:28 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jillandruss@... writes:
      It appears that Pvt. Shadrach wasn't awarded the MOH for the simple
      reason that no one ever sought it on his behalf. However, I'm told
      that an effort is underway, led by certain members of the
      Congressional Medal of Honor Historical Society, to obtain the Medal
      of Honor for Shadrach and fellow raider George D. Wilson. I'm not
      sure where this stands; the last I heard it had the support of Sen.
      Voinovich's office and (supposedly) had been approved through the
      entire chain of command up to the White House.

      Russ...I did a web search on Shadrach and found that a new bill was introduced in the House this Spring by Rep David Hobson of Ohio to obtain the MOH on Shadrachs behalf.  The bill was referred to a House subcommittee which is the first step in the process.  Hopefully it will begin to work its way to action.  It sounds like this effort was separate from the effort of the CMOHHS which IIRC has been going on for a number of years.  Dont know why that effort stalled.  Hopefully your book will generate more awareness of the Raid and its participants.
         I am the Graves Registration Officer for the Ohio Dept of the SUVCW and would love to someday have a ceremony to place a MOH flagholder at Shadrachs grave to accord him the honor he deserves.  Ohio's new senator, Sherrod Brown descends from a Colonel of the 64th OVI and I would think we could enlist his support in the Senate.

      Kent Dorr