44085Re: Mostly On-Topic Trivia

  • Carl Williams
    Jul 30, 2007
      Henry Clay, Sr. (April 12, 1777 – June 29, 1852) ; not impossible that
      both accounts could be correct in that the wikipedia account has Clay
      introducing it to DC, not inventing the drink. The Wikipedia entry is
      updated now and playing down the possibility that the Vicksburg
      account is accurate. A gut feeling for me is that the Vicksburg
      webpage is repeating a local legend.

      That would be thee updating Wikipedia?

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Carl Williams" <carlw4514@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > give a fellow a chance!
      > >
      > > Ummmmm, how much credibility do you give your source?
      >
      > Wow ... I didn't realize what a mystery this was ... I found a page
      > that listed multiple historical references from the 19th Century, all
      > of which referred to brandy.
      >
      > Apparently, nobody really knows where the tradition of muddling those
      > four magical ingredients together originated. I'd be curious to hear
      > from Gordon Cotton, the master of all Vicksburg trivia.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic