44064Re: The hard hand of logistics in the Chickamauga-Chattanooga Campaign

  • William H Keene
    Jul 20, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hall" <Tunnelhill@...>
      wrote:

      > Upon what do you base this assumption?

      In the records of the debates during the drafting of the
      Constitution, South Carolina's delegates stated that that would not
      agree to the Constitution without the clause that permitted the trade
      to continue. In fact General Pinckney, one of South Carolina's
      delegates, stated "South Carolina and Georgia cannot do without
      slaves." I also find it interesting that when the issue was put to
      a vote in 1807, the southern congressmen voted 43-8 Against banning
      the slave trade and the northern congressmen voted 52-6 In Favor of
      banning the slave trade.

      > While you are at it, why was the period 20 years?

      That I dont know.

      > Steve Hall - Commander
      > Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
      > Sons of Confederate Veterans
      > Chatsworth, Georgia

      J.
> [...]
      > the mooring
      > > of trains but feel that all my labor has been in vain, caused
      so
      > from
      > > several reasons; first, the want of forage. For 3 and 4 days at
      > time not a
      > > sack of corn was to be had and trains were compelled to forage
      in
      > the
      > > country for sufficient to keep their stocks alive. Second, the
      > want of
      > > mechanics to repair the wagons and shoe the mules. I don't
      > pretend to say
      > > whose fault it is that the necessary foreage and mechanics are
      > not provided
      > > but an increased supply of both are very much needed out of the
      > Seventeen
      > > trains now here, only four have a grain of corn, two of them
      > (both belonging
      > > to 3d Divs 14th AC) have sufficient to make the trip to
      > Chatanooga, the
      > > other two a couple of days rations each. I shall send 50 wagons
      > out foraging
      > > in the morning if no forage arrives tonight. The general
      > understanding seems
      > > to be that trains now here and arriving are to remain until the
      > roads
      > > improve and supply of forage is sent to the front is that the
      > fact? In my
      > > report of yesterday, Capt McCunes train of 41 wagons, 3d Div 14
      > AC was
      > > reported as departed, it was an error of my clerk, the train
      has
      > not
      > > started. There will be at least seventy five wagons to be
      > deducted out of
      > > the 456 reported here should you desire to make an estimate of
      > the amt.
      > > transportated. Many of the teams would not be able to haul the
      > empty wagon
      > > back if they had been well fed while here and as it is they
      > cannot get back
      > > without a harness on. Capt. Warren has about 2000 head of
      horses
      > and mules
      > > in one correll and they are decaying at the rate of 30 head per
      > day,
      > > something should be done with them at once. All commissary
      stores
      > are
      > > passing through to Bridgeport. I should like very much to get
      > away from
      > > here. I am Col, very Resp your obtd svt E. B. Kirk AAQM.
      > >
      > > Catalog 223, June 2007, Olde Soldier Books
      > >
      > > Take care,
      > >
      > > Bob
      > >
      > > Judy and Bob Huddleston
      > > 10643 Sperry Street
      > > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      > > 303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@
      > >
      > > "The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic