44062Re: The hard hand of logistics in the Chickamauga-Chattanooga Campaign

  • William H Keene
    Jul 20, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Hall" <Tunnelhill@...>
      I disagree completely with your conclusion. The barring of the
      importation of slaves in 1774 was an action taken against trade
      specifically with Britain and was not a permanent end to the slave
      trade. And in reality the 20 year period was because of the south.

      > BTW, I found it very interesting to read some of the
      resolutions passed by the merchants and other citizens in protest to
      the tarriffs and other "intolerable acts" of the British government.
      One clause in particular jumped out. They were listing the items
      that they would NOT purchase or import, tea being the most obvious
      one, but "Slaves from Africa or the West Indies" came up in several
      of these. Georgia was barring the importation of slaves in 1774!
      Not the picture painted by the history books concerning the end of
      the slave importation is it? Most of them make it look like it was
      the South that wanted the trade to continue and, barring that,
      insisted on it continueing for 20 years after the ratification of the
      Constitution, when in reality, the 20 year period was brought out by
      the NORTH!

      > Steve Hall - Commander
      > Lt. Col. William Luffman Camp #938
      > Sons of Confederate Veterans
      > Chatsworth, Georgia

      McKay
      > STEVENSON, ALA, Nov 1st 1863. Col, Enclosed I hand you report of
      arrival and
      > departures of wagons trains at this place for the day. Your
      dispatch was
      > received and answered by Telegraph. Enclosed I hand you statement
      of trains
      > now here with remarks. I have done all in my power to facilitate
      the mooring
      > of trains but feel that all my labor has been in vain, caused so
      from
      > several reasons; first, the want of forage. For 3 and 4 days at a
      time not a
      > sack of corn was to be had and trains were compelled to forage in
      the
      > country for sufficient to keep their stocks alive. Second, the
      want of
      > mechanics to repair the wagons and shoe the mules. I don't
      pretend to say
      > whose fault it is that the necessary foreage and mechanics are
      not provided
      > but an increased supply of both are very much needed out of the
      Seventeen
      > trains now here, only four have a grain of corn, two of them
      (both belonging
      > to 3d Divs 14th AC) have sufficient to make the trip to
      Chatanooga, the
      > other two a couple of days rations each. I shall send 50 wagons
      out foraging
      > in the morning if no forage arrives tonight. The general
      understanding seems
      > to be that trains now here and arriving are to remain until the
      roads
      > improve and supply of forage is sent to the front is that the
      fact? In my
      > report of yesterday, Capt McCunes train of 41 wagons, 3d Div 14
      AC was
      > reported as departed, it was an error of my clerk, the train has
      not
      > started. There will be at least seventy five wagons to be
      deducted out of
      > the 456 reported here should you desire to make an estimate of
      the amt.
      > transportated. Many of the teams would not be able to haul the
      empty wagon
      > back if they had been well fed while here and as it is they
      cannot get back
      > without a harness on. Capt. Warren has about 2000 head of horses
      and mules
      > in one correll and they are decaying at the rate of 30 head per
      day,
      > something should be done with them at once. All commissary stores
      are
      > passing through to Bridgeport. I should like very much to get
      away from
      > here. I am Col, very Resp your obtd svt E. B. Kirk AAQM.
      > 40478..........................$65.00
      >
      > Catalog 223, June 2007, Olde Soldier Books
      >
      > Take care,
      >
      > Bob
      >
      > Judy and Bob Huddleston
      > 10643 Sperry Street
      > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      > 303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...
      >
      > "The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries
      are insane."

      > ---Mark Twain, 1907

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic