44060The hard hand of logistics in the Chickamauga-Chattanooga Campaign

  • Bob Huddleston
    Jul 20 2:44 PM
      I noticed this letter in a catalog and thought it worth sharing.

      189. LETTER-REPORT CONCERNING WAGON TRAINS 3p 8x10 manuscript from Ezra B.
      Kirk 71st NY, 14th OVI then AQM Vols. Letter going to Col. A. J. McKay
      STEVENSON, ALA, Nov 1st 1863. Col, Enclosed I hand you report of arrival and
      departures of wagons trains at this place for the day. Your dispatch was
      received and answered by Telegraph. Enclosed I hand you statement of trains
      now here with remarks. I have done all in my power to facilitate the mooring
      of trains but feel that all my labor has been in vain, caused so from
      several reasons; first, the want of forage. For 3 and 4 days at a time not a
      sack of corn was to be had and trains were compelled to forage in the
      country for sufficient to keep their stocks alive. Second, the want of
      mechanics to repair the wagons and shoe the mules. I don't pretend to say
      whose fault it is that the necessary foreage and mechanics are not provided
      but an increased supply of both are very much needed out of the Seventeen
      trains now here, only four have a grain of corn, two of them (both belonging
      to 3d Divs 14th AC) have sufficient to make the trip to Chatanooga, the
      other two a couple of days rations each. I shall send 50 wagons out foraging
      in the morning if no forage arrives tonight. The general understanding seems
      to be that trains now here and arriving are to remain until the roads
      improve and supply of forage is sent to the front is that the fact? In my
      report of yesterday, Capt McCunes train of 41 wagons, 3d Div 14 AC was
      reported as departed, it was an error of my clerk, the train has not
      started. There will be at least seventy five wagons to be deducted out of
      the 456 reported here should you desire to make an estimate of the amt.
      transportated. Many of the teams would not be able to haul the empty wagon
      back if they had been well fed while here and as it is they cannot get back
      without a harness on. Capt. Warren has about 2000 head of horses and mules
      in one correll and they are decaying at the rate of 30 head per day,
      something should be done with them at once. All commissary stores are
      passing through to Bridgeport. I should like very much to get away from
      here. I am Col, very Resp your obtd svt E. B. Kirk AAQM.
      40478..........................$65.00

      Catalog 223, June 2007, Olde Soldier Books

      Take care,

      Bob

      Judy and Bob Huddleston
      10643 Sperry Street
      Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...

      "The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane."

      ---Mark Twain, 1907
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic