43927Re: Famed Brigades

  • gnrljejohnston
    Jul 11, 2007

      > My GGGG Grandfather spent the war in Chalmer's Brigade ... couldn't
      > that be considered a(n) (in)famous brigade?

      This brigade is not famous, but its history could be the history of
      the Army of the Tennessee. It is one of the unsung brigades of the
      war. Formed as the First Brigade, Fifth Division in March 1862 made
      up by the 6th Iowa, 46th Ohio, and the 40th Illinois, these three
      regiments fought together for the most part of the war, and marched
      down Pennsylvania Avenue in the Grand Review together. The brigade
      changed its designations many times, but these three regiments along
      with a few others that joined the brigade, stuck it out one might say
      from the birth of the AOTT to its demise in July 1865.

      These regiments served four years, and was actively engaged in the
      two days' battle at Shiloh, Tenn.; siege of Corinth, Miss.; siege of
      Vicksburg, Miss.; Jackson, Miss.; battle of Mission Ridge, Tenn.(lead
      attackers on Tunnel Hill); Resaca Ga.;New Hope Church, Ga.; Black
      Jack Knob, Ga.; Kenesaw Mountain, Ga.; Atlanta, Ga.; Ezra Chapel,
      Ga.; Jonesboro, Ga.; Griswoldville, Ga.; siege of Savannah, Ga.;
      battles on Cumbahe River, S.C., Columbus, S.C., and Bentonville,
      N.C.; Grand Review in Washington

      JEJ
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic