43811Re: HPS Campaign Chickamauga

  • James W. Durney
    Jun 18, 2007

      > James, is it a game that helps you understand the battle, or would you
      > say it is more of a case of letting you explore alternative outcomes?

      It can be either and can be both. If you play with a human by email,
      PBEM is the term, what happens and where will the battle go?
      Impossible to say.

      However, you can play a specific action on a smaller field with a
      shorter time frame and come very close to the historical outcome.

      In terms of "feel". You will find many of the problems tha commanders
      had. Try to maintain a battle line and had tow regiments route. Keep
      you men supplied with ammo and watch you artillery ammo supply. if you
      bang away you will get into BIG problems.

      Movement is along roads, the division gets into a long line and moves.
      Wagons & guns are slower. Try to move over fields, tress, creeks all
      slow you down. I tried to keep the CSA battle line together at Shiloh,
      what a job and I cold look down on it. Try marching Longstreet's
      divisions at Gettysburg, unseen.

      Remember, I am a BUG FAN of these games so this is bias!

      James
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic