43593Re: Gunshots they claim killed Bill Anderson.

  • hank9174
    May 7 7:24 AM
      FWIW, as an example, there are many contradictions, subtle nuances
      and inaccuracies to the eyewitness accounts and later recollections
      of the wounding of Stonewall Jackson.

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Jay Longley" <jay_longley@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Bob. As I stated in my post, I located more than a dozen such
      > contradictions as to the number and location of the bullet wounds.
      > My original message dealt only with this specific part, the
      gunshots,
      > of the traditionalist stories about the ambush and its aftermath.
      > have read most of the books you mention and the researchers helping
      > me have gone over all of these other points fully and thoroughly
      and
      > are still actively working on them. Since my time is very limited,
      > by my investigation into Bloody Bill Anderson, I am of course
      unable
      > to present every detail of our findings on other boards but I
      assure
      > you we have conducted the most thorough investigation into the life
      > and death of Bloody Bill Anderson that has ever been conducted and
      we
      > are far from finished.
      > Thank you,
      > ~Jay~
      >

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
      > <huddleston.r@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Of your sources, only two are of any value: Col. Cox's after
      action
      > report
      > > and the 1924 newspaper account of Col. Hackley. (I assume it is a
      > typo - the
      > > town is "Mobley").
      > >
      > > Unless there are good footnotes that you did not supply, none of
      the
      > > secondary accounts are worth anything. The closest would be
      > Harrison Trow.
      > > However, his book, _Charles W. Quantrell; a True History of His
      > Guerrilla
      > > Warfare on the Missouri and Kansas Border During the Civil War of
      > 1861-1865
      > > _, published in 1923, is a mishmash of rumor and legend. His
      > recounting of
      > > Anderson's death reads like a movie and does not conform to
      either
      > Cox's
      > > after action report, or other contemporary accounts. And as near
      as
      > I can
      > > determine, he was not with Anderson in Ray County - indeed I
      could
      > not
      > > determine if he was even with Quantrell during Price's Raid.
      > >
      > > You missed some other OR references to Anderson's demise. Samuel
      P.
      > Cox was
      > > major of the First Battalion, Missouri State Militia from April
      > 1862 until
      > > his resignation in January 1864. James Craig, commander of
      > the "Enrolled
      > > Missouri Militia" (it requires a score card to keep track of all
      the
      > > different versions of troops, both Yankee and Rebel in
      Missouri!),
> [...]
      > > fight mentions a Confederate flag with an inscription from a
      female
      > admirer,
      > > "Presented to W. L. (sic) Anderson by his friend, F.M.R. Let it
      not
      > be
      > > contaminated by Fed. Hands." (See Castel, _Bloody Bill Anderson:
      > The Short
      > > Savage Life of a Civil War Guerrilla _, 126)
      > >
      > > Your contention about the wounds received is a non-story. Hackley
      is
      > > recalling something which happened sixty-one years before and one
      > would
      > > expect his details to be sketchy. You will note that his mother,
      > cousin,
      > > identified the body as Anderson's. By the way, the photographer
      was
      > Dr.
      > > Robert Kice, a dentist in Richmond who had a sideline taking
      > pictures. Not
      > > Tice. Obviously the man who was photographed did not get shot
      > though the
      > > head from rear to front. The contemporary reports say twice in
      the
      > side of
      > > the head, which is consistent with Anderson riding into Cox's
      > lines, not in
      > > the back, unless it was "friendly fire"!
      > >
      > > The finest historians on the Civil War in Missouri are Albert
      > Castel, who
      > > had published several well researched books on what William
      > Freehling calls
      > > "the world class guerilla war" in the state; Thomas Goodrich,
      > especially his
      > > _Black Flag: Guerrilla Warfare on the Western Border, 1861-1865
      _;
      > and
      > > Michael Fellman, _ Inside War: The Guerrilla Conflict in Missouri
      > During the
      > > American Civil War _. They are in agreement that it was Anderson
      > who was
      > > killed near Albany, Mo., in October, 1864. The body was not
      > mutilated,
      > > except for the ring finger being cut off - which can be seen in
      the
      > photos.
      > > Anderson was buried in an unmarked grave, after which some of the
      > militia
      > > urinated on it.
      > >
      > > BTW, did you write the biography in Wikipedia?
      > >
      > > Take care,
      > >
      > > Bob
      > >
      > > Judy and Bob Huddleston
      > > 10643 Sperry Street
      > > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      > > 303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@
      > >
      > > And so to the end of history, murder shall breed murder, always
      in
      > the name
      > > of right and honour and peace, until the Gods are tired of blood
      > and create
      > > a race that can understand." - George Bernard Shaw, "Caesar and

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic