43592Re: Gunshots they claim killed Bill Anderson.

  • Jay Longley
    May 6, 2007
      Hi Bob. As I stated in my post, I located more than a dozen such
      contradictions as to the number and location of the bullet wounds.
      My original message dealt only with this specific part, the gunshots,
      of the traditionalist stories about the ambush and its aftermath. I
      have read most of the books you mention and the researchers helping
      me have gone over all of these other points fully and thoroughly and
      are still actively working on them. Since my time is very limited,
      by my investigation into Bloody Bill Anderson, I am of course unable
      to present every detail of our findings on other boards but I assure
      you we have conducted the most thorough investigation into the life
      and death of Bloody Bill Anderson that has ever been conducted and we
      are far from finished.
      Thank you,
      ~Jay~

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Huddleston"
      <huddleston.r@...> wrote:

      > Of your sources, only two are of any value: Col. Cox's after action
      report
      > and the 1924 newspaper account of Col. Hackley. (I assume it is a
      typo - the
      > town is "Mobley").
      >
      > Unless there are good footnotes that you did not supply, none of the
      > secondary accounts are worth anything. The closest would be
      Harrison Trow.
      > However, his book, _Charles W. Quantrell; a True History of His
      Guerrilla
      > Warfare on the Missouri and Kansas Border During the Civil War of
      1861-1865
      > _, published in 1923, is a mishmash of rumor and legend. His
      recounting of
      > Anderson's death reads like a movie and does not conform to either
      Cox's
      > after action report, or other contemporary accounts. And as near as
      I can
      > determine, he was not with Anderson in Ray County - indeed I could
      not
      > determine if he was even with Quantrell during Price's Raid.
      >
      > You missed some other OR references to Anderson's demise. Samuel P.
      Cox was
      > major of the First Battalion, Missouri State Militia from April
      1862 until
      > his resignation in January 1864. James Craig, commander of
      the "Enrolled
      > Missouri Militia" (it requires a score card to keep track of all the
      > different versions of troops, both Yankee and Rebel in Missouri!),
      asked Cox
      > to serve without pay or commission, and get Anderson. Cox did.
      >
      > According to Craig, Cox secured from Anderson's body his pocket
      note book,
      > containing letters from his wife, two orders to Anderson from
      Price, and a
      > locket of his wife's hair. The body was identified by several
      residents
      > while it was lying at the Richmond Court House. (Craig to
      Rosecrans's
      > adjutant general, 30 October 1864, 86 OR 334). In addition, a
      report on the
      > fight mentions a Confederate flag with an inscription from a female
      admirer,
      > "Presented to W. L. (sic) Anderson by his friend, F.M.R. Let it not
      be
      > contaminated by Fed. Hands." (See Castel, _Bloody Bill Anderson:
      The Short
      > Savage Life of a Civil War Guerrilla _, 126)
      >
      > Your contention about the wounds received is a non-story. Hackley is
      > recalling something which happened sixty-one years before and one
      would
      > expect his details to be sketchy. You will note that his mother, a
      cousin,
      > identified the body as Anderson's. By the way, the photographer was
      Dr.
      > Robert Kice, a dentist in Richmond who had a sideline taking
      pictures. Not
      > Tice. Obviously the man who was photographed did not get shot
      though the
      > head from rear to front. The contemporary reports say twice in the
      side of
      > the head, which is consistent with Anderson riding into Cox's
      lines, not in
      > the back, unless it was "friendly fire"!
      >
      > The finest historians on the Civil War in Missouri are Albert
      Castel, who
      > had published several well researched books on what William
      Freehling calls
      > "the world class guerilla war" in the state; Thomas Goodrich,
      especially his
      > _Black Flag: Guerrilla Warfare on the Western Border, 1861-1865 _;
      and
      > Michael Fellman, _ Inside War: The Guerrilla Conflict in Missouri
      During the
      > American Civil War _. They are in agreement that it was Anderson
      who was
      > killed near Albany, Mo., in October, 1864. The body was not
      mutilated,
      > except for the ring finger being cut off - which can be seen in the
      photos.
      > Anderson was buried in an unmarked grave, after which some of the
      militia
      > urinated on it.
      >
      > BTW, did you write the biography in Wikipedia?
      >
      > Take care,
      >
      > Bob
      >
      > Judy and Bob Huddleston
      > 10643 Sperry Street
      > Northglenn, CO 80234-3612
      > 303.451.6376 Huddleston.r@...
      >
      > And so to the end of history, murder shall breed murder, always in
      the name
      > of right and honour and peace, until the Gods are tired of blood
      and create
      > a race that can understand." - George Bernard Shaw, "Caesar and
      Cleopatra"

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic