      From: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com [mailto:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jay Longley
      Sent: Friday, April 27, 2007 6:48 PM
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Gunshots they claim killed Bill Anderson.

      One of the most disturbing aspects about the way the Bloody Bill
      Anderson story has been presented by historians and writers for over
      140 years, has been the many contradictory accounts of both the
      number of gunshots and the location of gunshot wounds these writers
      claim killed Bloody Bill Anderson in the ambush near Orrick, Missouri
      on October 26th or 27th depending on which story you believe. Going
      back through my notes on this event, I came across over a dozen
      different and contradictory stories of both the number of gunshots
      this guerrilla was said to have taken and their location on the body.
      The contradictions are quite obvious and the differences are as
      numerous as the writers who told about these very important gunshots.
      If one accepts that Bloody Bill Anderson was killed in this ambush,
      which I don't, then it must be amply certain that only one of these
      reports can possibly be the true account. I will give you all just a
      sampling of these accounts and will leave it up to those who have
      written and published these opposing versions to explain their
      positions and give their sources.
      ****

      The following article was written, on October 8, 1989, by Lorene
      Bishop who was a writer for the Brownwood Bulletin and President of
      the Brown County Historical Society. Lorene Bishop, as almost every
      reputable Brown County historian believed firmly that Bloody Bill
      Anderson lived out his life in Brown County, Texas until his death in
      1927. I am posting only the portion of Bishop's book that deals with
      the ambush below as told by James S. Hackley:

      "... The existence of the Bill Anderson of Texas that became known to
      Missourians in 1924 when a short article about him appeared in The
      Houston Post and was copied in Missouri papers. At once Colonel
      James S. Hackley, an early settler of Mobeby Missouri present his
      knowledge of the facts preceeding the slaying. His story indicates
      that the guerrilla's body was identified by his, Hackley's mother, a
      cousin of the slain Confederate irregular...
      Four weeks later we drove to Richmond to my mother's brother. When
      my uncle came out to greet my mother, a boy ran up and said that Bill
      Anderson had been killed and his body was at Tice's gallery.
      We went to Tice's gallery. When my mother saw the blood on
      Anderson's face, and his clotted hair, she pleaded that the picture
      not be taken until she had washed his face and combed his hair. Her
      plea was refused by Captain Cox, who was present and claimed to have
      killed Anderson.
      Anderson was buried in Richmond. The bullet that ended his life
      struck him in the back of his head and came out through his
      forehead.' "

      (This account says ONE bullet "struck him in the back of the head and
      came out through his forehead.")
      ***

      This next account is from the War of the Rebellion Records and comes
      from no other that Lt. Colonel S.P. Cox himself.

      "Report of Lieut. Col. Samuel P. Cox, Thirty-third Infanty Enrolled
      Missouri Militia.
      Richmond, Mo., October 27, 1864.

      DEAR SIR: We have the honor to report the result of our expedition on
      yesterday against the notorious bushwhacker, William T. Anderson and
      his forces, near Albany, in the soutwest corner of this county (Ray).
      Learning his whereabouts we struck camp on yesterday morning
      and made a forced march and came in contact with their pickets about
      a mile this side of Albany; drove them in and through Albany and into
      the woods beyond. We dismounted our men in the town, threw our
      infantry force into the woods beyond, sending a cavalry advance who
      engaged the enemy and fell back, when Anderson and his fiendish gang,
      about 300 strong, raised the Indian yell and came in full speed upon
      our lines, shooting and yelling as they came. Our lines held their
      position without a break.The notorious bushwhacker, Anderson, and one
      of his men, supposed to be Captain Rains, son of General Rains,
      charged through our lines. Anderson was killed and fell some fifty
      steps in our rear, receiving two balls in the side of the head. Rains
      made his escape and their forces retreated in full speed, being
      completely routed; our cavalry pursued them some ten miles, finding
      the road strewn with blood for miles. We hear of them scattered in
      various directions, some considerable force of them making thier way
      toward Richfield, in Clay County. We capured on Anderson private
      papers and orders from General Price that identify him beyond a
      doubt.
      I have the honor to report that my officers and me conducted
      themselves well and fought bravely on the field. We had 4 men
      wounded; lost none. The forces of my command consisted of a portion
      of Major Grimes, of Ray County, Fifty first Regiment Enrolled
      Missouri Militia, and a portion of the Thirty-Third Enrolled Missouri
      Militia, from Daviess and Caldwell Counties.

      Respectfully yours,

      S.P. COX
      Lieut. Col., Comdg. Thirty-third Regt. Enrolled Missouri
      Militia.
      GENERAL CRAIG

      (This one claims Anderson was hit with "two balls in the side of the
      head." Quite a feat of markmanship I would say.)

      ***
      The next is from a message by one of the members of our Bloody Bill
      Anderson Mystery group, Laura Anderson Way, in which she quotes Paul
      Petersen.

      "The following is from the book "Quantrill of Missouri" by Paul
      Petersen, page 392 and 393."

      "In late October, in Ray County, Anderson saw the report that Price
      had been defeated and that George Todd had been killed. On October 24
      he determined to punish the Federals for the Southern defeat at
      Westport."

      "Harrison Trow recalled that William Smith, a veteran guerrilla with
      four years' experience, rode next to Anderson. Trow claimed that five
      bullets struck Smith and three struck Anderson, and at the end of the
      fight, both men were dead."

      (Here Trow is quoted as saying "three (bullets) struck Anderson.
      Another strange fact is that, while this report claims William Smith
      was killed in this ambush, Smith's name appears nowhere on the
      monument erected to the guerrillas killed that day.)

      ***
      From: http://www.history. com/tdih. do?action= tdihArticleYear& id=2366

      "...Anderson went to Texas that winter, got married, and returned to
      Missouri in 1864 with a band of about 50 fighters. Anderson embarked
      on a summer of violence, leading his group on a campaign that killed
      hundreds and caused extensive damage. The climax came on September 27
      when Anderson's gang joined with several others to pillage the town
      of Centralia, Missouri. When more than 100 Union soldiers pursued
      them, the guerillas ambushed and massacred the entire detachment.
      Just a month later, Anderson's band was caught in a Union ambush
      outside of Albany, Missouri, and Anderson was killed by two bullets
      to his head. The body of the "blood-drenched savage," as he became
      known in the area, was placed on public display. Anderson kept a rope
      to record his killings, and there were 54 knots in it at the time of
      his death..."

      ***

      From:
      http://www.bullshid o.net/modules. php?
      name=Reviews& file=viewarticle &id=291

      Adult language is used on that site.

      "...After completely decimating the town, he moved his men to the
      south of town and set up an ambush for 150 Union Calvary men moving
      in after him. They killed 116 of them. They shot them through the
      head, then scalped them and thrust them with bayonets. They even
      chopped of ears and noses.

      On October 27th 1864, Anderson was ambushed by Captain S.P.Cox and
      his Union troops. He and one other man charged the line guns blazing.
      His horse was shot and he bit the dust, he was then shot in the back
      of the head 2 times. His body was taken to Richmond, Missouri where
      they decapitated his corpse and stuck his head on a telegraph pole.
      His body was then dragged through the streets and dumped in an
      unmarked grave.

      Bloody Bill was passionate, angry and ruthless ~ described by Jim
      Cummins as "The most desperate man I ever met." "

      (This one seems to be saying Anderson's horse "bit the dust" and then
      Anderson was executed with two shots in the back of the head.)

      ***

      http://www.civilwar history.com/ quantrill/ anderson. htm

      "While leading his guerilla band near Orrick, Missouri on October
      27th 1864, Anderson was ambushed by Captain S.P.Cox and his Union
      troops. Anderson was caught completely unaware and was riddled with
      bullets then left for dead in his saddle. His loyal followers put up
      a fight to try and recover Anderson's corpse, but they were driven
      back by superior firepower.

      Anderson's body was taken to Richmond, Missouri where it was propped
      up in a chair and a pistol was placed in the dead man's hand then
      photographs were taken. A short while later, the Union troopers, full
      of loathing for the dead man, decapitated Anderson and impaled his
      head on a telegraph pole at the entrance to the town as a signature
      to all that the infamous killer was indeed dead. Anderson's torso was
      roped and tied to a horse then dragged along the streets of Richmond
      before being dumped in an unmarked grave outside of town."

      (This is just one of many accounts that claim that Bill Anderson's
      body was "riddled with bullets".)

      ***

      Carl W. Breihan tells the story a little different in his account
      from page 78 of his "Killer Legions of Quantrill", 1971, by saying
      the following:

      "...Anderson was the first to fall, his body caught in a crossfire
      and riddled as he toppled from the saddle..."

      ***

      If it weren't for the seriousness of this historical event, all of
      these different and contradictory accounts would be laughable. To say
      the least, EVERY writer who has made money selling books containing a
      version of this ambush story owes the American public an explanation
      for writing whatever tale he/she chose to tell in the book(s),
      regarding the way they claim Bloody Bill Anderson was killed that
      day. They should step forward and give their sources for this
      misinformation.
      Thank you,
      ~Jay~

    • Show all 29 messages in this topic