43571Re: Battle of Iuka

  • James W. Durney
    May 2 2:58 PM
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "theme_music" <theme_music@...>
      wrote:

      > If you are Rosecrans, and you know Ord is waiting to hear your guns
      > before he begins his assault, wouldn't it make sense to unlimber a
      > battery or two and start firing, even if you really had nothing to
      > shoot at? Doesn't that make a lot more sense as "communications"
      than
      > sending riders back around the 3 hour minimum loop? Now I'm
      certainly
      > not stating that I know of some precedence for this, in fact I don't,
      > but my question would be, why not?

      My understanding is that Rosecrans thought the sound of his guns was
      going to be heard. This is one of those sound problems that pop up
      from time to time. Neither side is fully to blame and neither is free
      of guilt. However, Rosecrans was responsible to keep Grant informed
      and should have done more to make sure his message was received.

      James
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic