43567Re: Battle of Iuka

  • Tony Gunter
    May 2, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "William H Keene" <wh_keene@...>
      wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Not sure if anyone has noticed this, but I think there's a more
      > > logical explanation for why Ord never attacked at Iuka.
      >
      > I thought that the explanation you give is the same as the
      > explanation I have heard it the past.

      I've never heard this explained without invoking the "acoustic
      shadow," which sounds like so much magic to me. I don't think
      sporadic heavy musketry could be heard through thick woods at eight
      miles.

      > I think the communication connection was not as good as you
      > indicate. IIRC, Rosecrans did sent couriers, but the distance was
      > long and the message did not get through.

      From going back to the O.R., it appears that the 12:40 p.m. message
      took ~10 hours to reach Grant through the woods. I think if
      Rosecrans had sent it back to the telegraph line, it would have
      gotten there in less than half that time. But that's hindsight.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic