43562Re: Battle of Iuka

  • William H Keene
    May 2, 2007

      > Not sure if anyone has noticed this, but I think there's a more
      > logical explanation for why Ord never attacked at Iuka.

      I thought that the explanation you give is the same as the
      explanation I have heard it the past.

      > Ord was 4 miles north of Iuka, Rosecrans was 2 miles south. Ord
      > reported at some point during the day (PUSG) that he heard irregular
      > cannonading off to the south, but he did not seem to feel that it
      > indicated a general engagement. Rosecrans reported after the battle
      > that the terrain was very rough and at no point was he able to bring
      > his artillery to bear upon the enemy for any length of time.
      >
      > So Ord was waiting to hear the sounds of artillery booming in the
      > distance, but the musket fire that dominated the battle did not
      carry
      > the distance between Ord and Rosecrans.
      >
      > Why Rosecrans, who had been communicating via telegraph regularly
      > with Grant up to that point, did not send a rider back to the
      > telegraph line to let Grant know that the general engagement had
      > begun, is a mystery to me.

      I think the communication connection was not as good as you
      indicate. IIRC, Rosecrans did sent couriers, but the distance was
      long and the message did not get through.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic