43442Re: McPherson's Flanking Movement at Port Gibson

  • William H Keene
    Apr 15, 2007
      I really dont fully understand the motives of many writers. In this
      case there seems to me to be some scholarly laziness and also a habit
      of embracing a previous author's narrative without question.

      In the case of the way Tim Smith describes Port Gibson in his book on
      Champion Hill, I would not call it an effort to discredit McPherson but
      rather a lack of effort to fully describe and understand the battle.
      The description of Port Gibson in Ballard's book on the Vicksburg
      campaign is much better.

      > geez, how the heck did I do that?
      >
      > anyway, care to comment? My question was, what conceivable motive
      > would there be to discredit McPherson? Is this a case of Bearss'
      > interpretation becoming gospel, and many other historians following in
      > unquestioning lock-step?

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic