43005Re: [civilwarwest] Hi I one of the ones who post from time to time,but

  • Dave Gorski
    Feb 9, 2007
      > I have found my great-great
      >uncle who was with the 93th Indiana, died fall of 1863 and buried at
      >Jefferson Barracks National in St louis,mo 9-16-1863. I have not found
      >the conflict or illiness that may have claimed him. If anyone had
      >thoughts on this let me know.

      Just speculation, but if he died of wounds, he may have been involved
      in the conflict around Jackson, Mississippi. The regiment's commander
      has his reports on the action the regiment participated in, in the OR,
      Series I, Volume 24, Part I, page 765. On the other hand he may have
      been a victim of disease. Of the 93rd Indiana's 291 dead, 250 of them
      died of disease, so the odds are that he also died of disease.

      Here are some research suggestions:

      If you have not already done so, get records from the National Archives,
      and if possible, get them yourself rather than by mail.
      When you get records by mail, you get what the individual researcher sends
      you. They are good, and they do the best they can, but they can leave
      things out. Some soldiers may be listed under a number of spellings of the
      names. One soldier from the 11th Indiana Battery, which I researched is listed
      under 7 different names, and several of these files had information in them,
      all on the same individual. The 241 men who served in the 11th Indiana Battery
      are listed under 368 names in the National Archives records. So, if you can
      look for yourself. Check ALL the records, legal, medical and POW are not
      together, you have to request them all. Don't overlook pension records. There
      can be a great deal of war related information there too, as some soldiers had
      their service records questioned and they required affidavits from
      comrades to secure their pension.

      Check with the Indiana Historical Society, and the Indiana Archives.
      If you need an address or phone number let me know. It is likely that they can
      provide much information. Ask for correspondence which may have been sent
      to the unit from the state adjutant general, telegrams etc. Many
      state archives
      have the original muster in and out rolls. Ask for that unit's Morning Report
      Books, Sick Book, Descriptive Book, Clothing Book, Order Book, Account Book
      of Company Fund, Register of Articles Issued to Soldiers, and Report of Target
      Practice Book. These were all books that were kept by regulations, and while
      many are missing, many still exist in state archives. They provide a wealth of
      information not just on the unit, but on individual soldiers as well.

      Contact the U.S. Army Military History Institute;
      Carlisle Barracks, 22 Ashburn Dr., Carlisle PA, 17013-5008

      Check period newspaper accounts. Most communities were very proud of their
      boys. They regularly kept the people updated on the activities of
      their hometown
      boys. The Indiana Historical Society Library can provide these
      papers on microfilm.
      Use interlibrary loan if you can't get to Indianapolis. Check the
      report of the Indiana
      Adjutant General as well, 4 or 5 volumes. The New Albany and Madison,
      Indiana Area
      had several newspapers, and many of the men in the 93rd Indiana were
      from that area.
      Look for reunion stories as well. Many men posed for unit photos that
      were published
      in local newspapers.

      Hope this is of some help. There are many avenues of research that
      can be taken.

      Regards, Dave Gorski
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic