42967[civilwarwest] Re: Buzzard's Roost as the "Terrible Door of Death"

  • Dave Gorski
    Feb 1, 2007
      >Why weren't the lessons he learned and applied at Rocky Face Ridge,
      >Buzzards Roost, and Dug Gap employed at Kennesaw Mountain? Just
      >playing the odds that a change in tactics would fool the Rebels?

      My understanding is that Sherman was concerned about his supply and
      communication line, both connected to the RR line. As the Union force
      drew closer to Atlanta, guerrilla activity against them increase. Continued
      flanking movements to the right would have taken Schofield more than a
      mile further south, and in Shermans view, would have been met with a
      Confederate countermove that would take them even further from the
      lines of supply and communications. Sherman also felt that a flanking
      move was expected, and that by attacking, he had the element of
      surprise.
      The Confederate line was stretched somewhat thin in his mind, over 8
      miles, and Sherman thought he could break the line. Demonstrations were
      made on both ends of the Confederate line, but no move was made by the
      Confederates to shift troops and weaken the line, as Sherman had hoped.

      Regards, Dave Gorski
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic