42960Re: Aversaboro on Civil War Talk Radio

  • Art Bagley
    Jan 31, 2007
      I understand that the Civil War Preservation Trust has purchased land
      affiliated with the Averasboro battle. This should lead to better
      interpretation of the engagement, which currently is handled by
      several remote roadside plaques, some being on particularly dangerous
      no-sightline curves.

      There is a nice little cemetery on that backroad [sorry, can't recall
      name or number], Chicora, run and maintained by the United Daughters
      of the Confederacy. And there's a small, private museum of the battle
      just across the street from the graveyard.

      It's interesting that Averasboro and Bentonville are generally
      regarded as Western Theater battles, mainly because the Army of
      Tennessee logged so many miles on-the-hoof. Also interesting because
      we see formerly eastern Generals Taliaferro and McLaws in the
      leadership mix!

      ArtorBart33624
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic