42805Re: Battle of Raymond Walking Trail Completed, Interpretive Markers Installed

  • Tony Gunter
    Jan 5, 2007
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@...> wrote:

      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I haven't dropped by since the markers have been added, but I did
      > > notice on this website that one of the stops is titled "A Soldier's
      > > Battle," a description with which I very much disagree.
      > >

      > Why do you disagree?

      This description is based on the Ed Bearss assertion that the battle
      lines broke down into individual companies scrambling around in the
      woods, and that each soldier's world collapsed into a 10 ft radius
      circle of visibility, inside of which each soldier waged his own
      battle.

      There were some gaps in command and control during the battle, most
      notably:

      1) The Confederate left wing and right wing were out of supporting
      distance of each other for two hours and consequently were each
      defeated in detail.

      2) Col. Manning Force of the 20th Ohio panicked, and ordered his men to
      charge into the creek bed from which they could neither advance nor
      retreat. This left him exposed 100 yards in front of the Union battle
      line, and required great sacrifice on the part of the 20th Ill. to
      reconnect the battle line.

      3) Gen. John Stevenson, commanding the reserve, over-pursued the
      Confederate left wing with his two remaining regiments. This exposed
      the 7th MO to a route by the 10/30th TN as they attempted to reorganize
      after emerging from the woods.

      Interestingly enough, Bearss likes to use Raymond as a case study in
      the dangers of a Corps commander being overly hesitant, when really all
      of the serious gaffes in the battle resulted when regimental and
      brigade commanders became overly aggressive.
    • Show all 4 messages in this topic