42590Re: Between Wind and Water

  • pittman_earl
    Nov 19, 2006
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Bruner" <banbruner@...>
      wrote:

      > I ran across this nautical phrase while reading an account of Fort
      > Danaldson. Flag Officer Foote used it in describing the hits
      suffered
      > by his boats. "She was hit between the wind and water". Does
      anyone
      > know what this means?
      >
      > Bill Bruner

      The expression "between wind and water" is an old Navy term referring
      to the body of a ship above the waterline and below the sails or deck
      level. Thus, to be hit "between wind and water" is to be damaged. It(
      the term) was used in other contexts beside damage. My father was
      Regular USN and used it fairly often. I never heard it used when I was
      in the USN. Earl Pittman
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic