      From: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com [mailto: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of russellsbonds
      Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 9:35 AM
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [civilwarwest] Re: Book Recommendation - Stealing the General

      Dear Bill, Ken, Bob, Tom and Steve:

      I'm the author of Stealing the General, and I recently discovered
      your group here. Thanks, Bill, for mentioning the book, and to all
      of you who have ordered it. Please post here or send me an e-mail at
      rbonds@.... com and let me know if you enjoy the book.

      I'm a lifelong Georgia resident--I grew up almost literally in the
      shadow of Kennesaw Mountain --and like all of you am a student of the
      war in the (still overlooked) West. Also, I'm considering a number
      of ideas for my next book topic. If any of you have a thought on a
      Civil War story, battle or character that deserves more attention or
      a new narrative treatment, please let me know.

      Thanks again; I look forward to participating in the group.

      Warmest regards,
      Russ Bonds

      --- In civilwarwest@ yahoogroups. com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@. ..>
      wrote:

      > Today I received in the mail, a newly published book
      entitled "Stealing the
      > General" by Russell S. Bonds. It's approximately 374 pages with
      lots of
      > footnotes. His goal is to tell the story of the soldiers who
      attempted to
      > steal the General and their fate. I hadn't realized this but many
      of the
      > men on this raid received the Medal of Honor, which was given for
      the first
      > time in U.S. History. James M. McPherson has this to say about the
      book,
      > "The Great Locomotive Chase has been the stuff of legend and the
      darling of
      > Hollywood .
      Now we have a solid history of the Andrews Raid.
      Russell S.
      > Bond's stirring account makes clear why the raid failed and what
      happened to
      > the raiders." My only background on this event is the 1952 Walt
      Disney
      > movie starring Fess Parker, so I am anxious to read the book and
      find out
      > more about this raid.
      >

      > Bill

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic