42515Re: Chickamauga by Turchin

  • gnrljejohnston
    Nov 2, 2006

      > In a message dated 11/2/2006 8:01:45 PM Central Standard Time,
      > GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
      > Also nearby Shaker Village
      > Of that I have know knowledge. Is it worth a stop in a pressed
      situation?
      > With only so much time to cover thus and such an area? Where is it
      and what is
      > its interest? Was unaware of a Shaker presence in the area. A
      strange group with
      > strange ideas that guaranteed its demise -- much in the same vein
      as the King
      > David group in Michigan. I'll definitely include it in the next
      trip that way
      > if you'll recommend it.
      > Ken
      >
      > Ken

      Ken,
      Shaker Village is surely worth a stop. The Shakers that were there
      following the Battles of Richmond and Perryville served as nurses,
      orderlies, and took wounded into their homes, both Union and
      Confederate. One of the gals that helps run it (I forgot her name,
      but she use to be "Host Orphan" in AOL's Mason Dixon Room) and is one
      of the best sources of battles in that area. She is the one that got
      the Perryville NPS Supt. give me a personal tour of the battlefield.

      JEJ
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic