42508Re: Chickamauga by Turchin

  • bjer50010
    Nov 2, 2006

      > In a message dated 11/2/2006 8:38:34 AM Central Standard Time,
      > clarkc@... writes:
      > At that time there were perhaps 8 stops using a mimeographed,
      type-written
      > guide.
      >
      > How is it now?
      > Kentucky has put in a lot of effort since you were there, acquiring
      property,
      > etc. It's very nice still improving daily. (I visited in '03.)
      > Ken

      I'll second that. I was there towards the middle of June of this
      year. I did post a couple of thoughts at the time but they appear to
      have gotten lost in some of the strangeness occurring at that time.

      As far as the battlefield goes, it is extremely well maintained. The
      day I visited, there were several groundskeepers out and about, but
      only a couple of other visitors. They have a map in the VC which
      indicates the acquisitions of ground for the park. Amazing amount of
      acquisition. They are now up to over 20 stops.

      I was able to cover most of the field within about 2 hrs. of walking.
      There are placards at each of the stops which are informative. I
      also brought along the tour guide from the Perryville issue of Blue
      and Grey.

      I definitely recommend the park to anyone who is in the area.

      JB Jewell
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic