42497Re: More On Mississippi Rate-of-Flow &c in 1863

  • Tony Gunter
    Nov 1, 2006

      > In a message dated 10/31/2006 3:56:45 PM Central Standard Time,
      > nickrelee@... writes:
      > would think though that the upriver dams probably evens out the
      effect of the
      > levees forcing into into a channel. I would guess that the river
      is roughly
      > the same as it once was, but I could be worng.
      > And you could be right. Levee's control high water and promote
      channel
      > maintenance -- faster flow. Dam's even out the seasonal flow --
      slower water.
      > Keeping in mind that the Mississippi drains an enormous area from
      the Alleghenies to
      > the Rockies, what happens upstream dictates the river condition at
      Memphis
      > and Vicksburg. The river may have borne a totally different
      character in the
      > spring of '62 than it did in '63, but it remains that 8 knots is
      not enough to
      > beat upstream and maneuver.

      What this suggests is that the city class ironclads of the Union
      Navy, with a top speed of 6 knots, could not navigate upstream on the
      Mississippi River during the Civil War. I have trouble accepting
      this because of reports that these vessels moved back and forth from
      Memphis to just above Vicksburg.

      However, I suppose it's possible the Union Navy could have been
      towing these vessels back upstream.
    • Show all 30 messages in this topic